It’s the Holiday season, and with that the world of gadgets and gadgetry is on full display. Within the lives of our students, and probably our own families, there is a greater dependence on gadgets than we have ever had before.
If you are looking for some last minute items for those on your lists, I’ve put together some reasonable choices, including options for less than $50.
- The Apple Insider Gift Guide: while not a singular product, this list is geared toward those of you who are Mac fans. Tons of things here for the iPad!
- The Chromecast: Google has created a device that plugs into the back of your television that allows you to stream content from any device that uses Chrome as a browser. Have an iPad? Via Chrome you can send your screen to the television across the room. Have an Android phone? You can stream from Google Play, Google Play Music, Pandora and Netflix right to your television.
- Anki Racers: the rise of toys that are controlled via phones and other handheld devices continues. More and more, we see remote control helicopters, cars, and all sorts of things bundled with apps. Anki Racers are no different. Here is a quick video to detail what these toys do:
- Nest Home Temperature Management: We have now entered a world in which you can control the conditions in your home from wherever you are. Via an app on your phone, you can start adjust the temperature prior to your arrival at home. Think of that, get in your car at the end of a workday, open the app and set the thermostat to your desired temperature and arrive home in a warm, toasty house.
- Makey-Makey: two graduate students have it in their mind that we are all inventors. They set out to prove this through their creation of the $50 device called Makey-Makey. No bigger than a credit card, this product does some amazing things. If you’ve got a child in the family that loves to tinker, this one is perfect. Check out their video: